Thursday, February 24, 2011

Almost, Almost, Almost...

Let me start by just saying that I absolutely love the Bible. So many things I didn't know, new things to uncover. It's incredible. Also, I get to truly learn the stories, not just of Christ's life, but the life of the original twelve as well. And this is where this insight comes from.

Acts 26 has, quite possibly, the most saddening phrase to me in the entire Bible. Let me sum up the chapter: Paul tells his account of how he formerly persecuted the Saints in Christ's time while he was a Pharisee before he was converted. He then testifies of Jesus whom he saw on the Damascus road. And at the end of the chapter Paul bears his testimony of Christ and the gospel to king Agrippa.

It is with the king that my sadness lay.

I have to quote the end of this chapter to help me explain:

"27King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thouabelievest.
28Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou apersuadest me to be abChristian.
29And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds."

What was it King Agrippa says to Paul when questioned if he believed in Christ? "Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian."

Now wait a minute. Paul already knows that King Agrippa believes. Not only that, King Agrippa knows that he believes as well. So why is he denying it? "Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian"? That's just not true. You do know, O King. So why do ye deny? Almost you were willing to defend this man of God. Almost you were willing to be blessed. Almost you were willing to truly accept He who could save you...

Well, now I must ask each of you, as well as myself, the same question. How often do we do exactly what King Agrippa did? You know what you believe, you know Christ lives, you know what He asks of you, so why do you still deny? Why do we still pretend and push these things to the back of our mind?

How often do we say things like this:

· "I could keep the sabbath day holy, but the weather is perfect to go boating.

· "I could follow the prophet and not watch rated R movies, but it's just a little violence, just a little sex, just a little gore.

· "I could keep the commandments and not sin right now, but it's just so enticing."

· "I could go to all of my meetings, but the Superbowl is about to start. I can go next week."

· "I could go to the temple today, but I'd rather read/watch a movie/play video games instead."

Aren't these simple things the types of things we say to ourselves so often? All the little excuses we make up to make ourselves feel better about doing the exact opposite of what we know we should and what is right? Why do we do that? Why do pretend to what's right and never follow through? We claim we believe and do nothing with it. Whatever happened to that scripture in James: "Faith without works is dead, being alone"?

Let me add a little to the above statements and say what Agrippa did. Maybe then we'll understand:

· "I could keep the sabbath day holy, but the weather is perfect to go boating. Almost thou persuadest me to keep the sabbath day holy."

· "I could follow the prophet and not watch rated R movies, but it's just a little violence, just a little sex, just a little gore. Almost thou persuadest me to follow the prophet."

· "I could keep the commandments and not sin right now, but it's just so enticing. Almost thou persuadest me to keep the commandments."

· "I could go to all of my meetings, but the Superbowl is about to start. I can go next week. Almost thou persuadest me to attend church."

· "I could go to the temple today, but I'd rather read/watch a movie/play video games instead. Almost thou persuadest me to attend the temple."

Do we not understand the implications tho these statements we make, both verbal and physical? Do we not get that essentially all we are saying is, "I could reach the Celestial kingdom, but the world and what they claim is happiness is instantly gratifying to me and somehow more fulfilling. Almost thou persuadest me to be truly happy. Almost." But instead of truly giving it our all, and giving our will over the the Father, we tell Him, "Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. Almost thy gift is worth it. Almost I want to be with you again." Almost, almost, almost...

Almost we are willing to help that elderly lady take her groceries to her car. Almost we want to help the dead who cannot help themselves. Almost we want to be a better sister, brother, husband, wife, parent. Almost we want to be closer to our Creator. Almost we are willing to do the things required of us. Almost we are willing to be Christians. Almost, almost, almost...

Might I suggest that we no longer sit on the fence with our legs sprawled on each side, proclaiming, "Almost I'm a Christian!" But let us stand firmly on the side of the Lord, so there is no doubt in any mind that we are who we say are, because we act how we speak.

"I am a Christian!"

No comments:

Post a Comment