Monday, November 22, 2010

Re·mem·ber, I Am Mindful of You Always

[RI-MEM-BER] V. TO RECALL TO THE MIND BY AN ACT OR EFFORT OF MEMORY; THINK OF AGAIN; TO RETAIN IN THE MEMORY; KEEP IN MIND; REMAIN AWARE OF.

This might be one of the most important words in the English language. I never realized it much before until a few months ago, but so much depends upon us remembering.
I've always been told I have such a crazy awesome memory, but honestly, that's not entirely true. Sure, I could tell you the day, up to the hour even, of when I had my first kiss. And all right, it's a rare thing for me to forget when it's someone's birthday. But a lot of the time, I forget the important things. The things that really matter. Trivial matters such as song lyrics, birthdays and random facts, sure; I'm full of them. But the things that honestly matter, I always seem to forget.
Take, for example, all my dreams and aspirations. I want to be a writer. I want to be a photographer. In fact, I want to major in photography with a minor in psychology. I want to teach seminary. I want to make a difference in the world, in the lives of others, particularly those whom I love most dearly. I want to be a mother of at least 5 amazing kids. I want to be the best I can be. I want to go to the temple and marry the man of my dreams. I want to be with Doug forever. I want to live with God again.

But somehow, these things get pushed back all the time. I don't remember any of these goals, and instead of working on them, I sit on facebook, playing Bejeweled Blitz, stalking other people's pages and being a creep. I spend hours reading pointless fanfiction that is basically babble and not even worth anyone's time. But occasionally I do something productive and write something of my own, or read a General Conference talk, I guess I could even consider creating this blog something worthwhile. Most of the time though I do nothing to achieve any of them. Why? Because I just... don't keep it in mind. I don't make the effort to think of it again.

Another point I never seem to remember; who I am. Now I know, that seems like it shouldn't be a hard one to remember, right? But I'm not talking about the fact that I'm half Norwegian, an eighth German, a sixteenth Swedish and so on. I mean it's kinda hard to forget some of those things unless I get a concussion. But I'm referring to inside, who I am. Not where my physical appearances came from, but my spirit. Being the teenage girl that I am, I have a tendency to forget that I am pretty darn awesome. Honestly. Ask God, He'll tell you. Granted, I have a hard time believing in that, but it's true nonetheless. Why? Because I am a daughter of God. Literally. And really, I think that's pretty darn awesome indeed. But I never seem to keep that in mind. I don't remember it. I push it back, just like my dreams, and don't work any magic with that knowledge.

The last thing I want to say is about remembering about those who care about and love you. For some reason, I still get the feeling that people don't really care about me a lot of the time. I think that at some point, that's a pretty universal feeling. But someone very dear to me told me to read a scripture on one of those days. The scripture gave me the title to this blog, to help me and you remember we are loved by someone. "I am mindful of you always in my prayers, continually praying unto God the Father in the name of his Holy Child, Jesus, that he, through his infinite goodness and grace, will keep you through the endurance of faith on his name to the end." While this scripture is actually from Mormon to his son Moroni, we can also use this for anyone that is loved by us, or who we are loved by. My best friend gave this to me while I was having a hard time, and this scripture reminded me that I am something to him. He is mindful of me always, and I know that. He helped me remember that.
This why "remember" is such an important word. Think about it; how awesome could you be if you always remembered this simple thing-I am a child of God. God is my father. Literally. I can look up at the stars in the heavens and say, "My Daddy made that. I'm gonna be like Him one day." How different would we act, how many things would we do, if we remembered that simple thing alone? Or remembered that people truly do care about us, no matter how hopeless things may seem.

So I say to you, "Remember." Remember the things that matter most. Remember who you are. Remember who loves you and what you can become. Remember the feelings you've felt, the good times you've had. Remember the good times and learn from the bad.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Watch your words, for they become your actions." Keep in mind the things that are most important to you, and you'll achieve all you want and much, much more with the help of our Father and his son, Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment