Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Spirit of Charity

I had an amazing experience today, brought to me by my dad.
Somehow, I never noticed it before, but my dad is one of the most charitable people I've ever met. It's not the kind of charity that people normally think of; give large sums of money to some charity fund, or gives a whole bunch of clothes and shoes to some African fund. But my dad showed me and my whole family the perfect way to show charity toward a single person.
For Thanksgiving today, my dad invited a man over. Every morning, he works out with him for medical reasons. No one else in my family had ever seen or met him before, but my dad asked him to come over to my house for Thanksgiving dinner because he didn't have anywhere to go to celebrate.
This man has disabilities caused my an insane car wreck over 20 years ago that messed up the entire left side of his body. The functionality of his left arm isn't much and he has a constant limp. He had to learn how to do everything over again, as if he were growing up from being a baby. Walk, feed himself, talk... all of it. But now he does them all pretty well.
I got the chance to talk to him for about an hour while he was here. And I had such a wonderful experience. He is a smart man, even if hard of hearing from his accident. He is talkative and asks so many questions and honestly wants answers. And I enjoyed myself so much.
I hope we all can be more charitable toward one another and more willing to get to know others. You may be surprised by the things you find out, and the awesomeness that is meeting new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment